Information for Visitors

 

Rievaulx, St Mary

Click here for a map of how to find us: Click here for a guide to St Mary, Rievaulx

Rievaulx, St Mary - typical June weather!

Originally the slipper chapel at the entrance to Rievaulx Abbey (some of the 13th century masonry is still visible), it was rebuilt as a village church by architect Temple Moore in 1906-7, who added a chancel and a small steeple.

Oak pegs do not hold stone roof tiles indefinitely, so a centenary restoration project in 2007 has seen in particular a new roof (plus a repainted clock face and a cockerel weather vane, designed to match that depicted in the recent find at Rievaulx of a fragment of medieval stained glass).

Situated at the north-east end of the village, a short distance from the west end of the Abbey church, it is squeezed on to the valley side, so, like there, the traditional east-west alignment has not been possible.

Thumbnail of St Mary, Rievaulx with daffodilsThumbnail of stained glass window