St Chad, Sproxton
This little church in a prominent position where the roads from Malton and Thirsk join a mile south of Helmsley, has 17th century origins. It was built in the 1640s - but not here! Originally the chapel of West Newton Grange, which stood a mile or so away, and by the mid 19th century in use as a barn! it was moved here and rebuilt stone by stone in 1879 to serve the people of Sproxton. The architects then, George Gilbert Scott Jnr and Temple Moore, kept the 17th century feel, with its unusual square shape (nave and chancel as one), reredos with plaster triptych and little gallery.
There are occasional services, please see weekly notice sheets for information.